Last Updated 8/12/2021
The Sacramento County Water Agency (SCWA) is providing this voluntary program to rebate qualifying residential and commercial customers for converting existing grass and sprinkler irrigation systems to a drip irrigation system with native and drought tolerant landscaping. SCWA residential customers may receive a rebate of $1.00/square foot up to a maximum of $2,000 per household or $1.50/square foot up to a maximum of $2,500 for commercial and industrial customers. Rebates will be awarded on a “first come, first served” basis as projects are confirmed completed. The Sacramento County Water Agency reserves the rights to terminate this program at any time, for any reason.
Are you an SCWA Customer?
With over 20 individual water purveyors in Sacramento County, it may be confusing to find yours. We have provided an easy search tool to find yours: Lookup your water purveyor
review the information on the right for helpful tips about the application process.
Cash for Grass Rebate Application
To qualify for a rebate:
- You must be the current property owner of record of a single family residence or industrial/commercial property, or his or her authorized representative.
- Your utility accounts must be in good standing.
You have grass (dead or alive) intact when you apply for the rebate. Grass that has already been removed is not eligible.
You need to submit a completed application packet via mail which includes:
- A sketch of the project conversion area along with measurements.
- A Payee Data Record form (in lieu of IRS W-9).
- At the same time of completing the application packet, you must submit current "before" pictures that were taken within the last 30 days of your yard showing the area where your lawn will be removed. A minimum of three (3) photos will need to be submitted digitally to SCWARebate@saccounty.net. Be sure to include your address in the subject line and your name in the body of the email (See How to Take Your Project Photographs).
You will need to convert at least a minimum of two hundred (200) square feet of lawn/turf in accordance with the terms and conditions of the rebate program.
Also, complete Plant Coverage Worksheet.
You will need to schedule and participate in a post-inspection site visit with a Sacramento County Water Agency representative once conversion has been completed in accordance with terms and conditions of the rebate.
This incentive program is NOT retroactive. If you have started or completed you project before SCWA has received and approved your Application, you are not eligible for this rebate.
Steps for the Cash For Grass Program:
- Register for the program.
- Applicants will receive a reply email with Application package and further directions.
- Read, sign, and complete all sections of the Application document.
- Provide a sketch of the project conversion area along with measurements.
- Complete the Payee Data Record form.
- Mail the completed documents to:
Sacramento County Water Agency
827 7th St. Room 301
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attn: Cash for Grass Program
- Email three current digital photos of the project area to SCWARebate@saccounty.net.
- Start the project after receiving your approval email from an assigned inspector.
- Contact your inspector when finished with your project.
- Provide the completed Plant Coverage Worksheet upon project completion at time of inspection.
- Subject to available funding, a rebate will be issued within 8 – 10 weeks after project inspection approval if all terms and conditions have been met.
Are you looking ways to make your home look good while saving money and water? There are landscape design resources available to help you find drought resistant landscaping.
Please call (916) 874-6851 during business hours or email us at SCWARebate@saccounty.net for additional questions.
make sure that our emails are not filtered into your "junk",
"spam", or "bulk" folder, please add SacCounty.NET to your
list of trusted senders.