- Sweep sidewalks and patios rather than hose debris into gutters.
- Purchase household and garden products that are "least toxic" to the environment.
- Avoid using pesticides or herbicides on your yard and garden.
- Garden organically or use alternatives to chemicals when possible.
- Do not over-water lawns and gardens. Over-watering can flush large quantities of pesticides and fertilizer directly into storm drains.
- Take care of your lawn in an environmentally friendly way. Download the EPA booklet Healthy Lawn, Healthy Environment (a large PDF file).
For more information on landscaping tips, check out