- Sweep sidewalks and patios rather than hose debris into gutters.
- Purchase household and garden products that are "least toxic" to the environment.
- Avoid using pesticides or herbicides on your yard and garden.
- Garden organically or use alternatives to chemicals when possible.
- Do not over-water lawns and gardens. Over-watering can flush large quantities of pesticides and fertilizer directly into storm drains.
- Take care of your lawn in an environmentally friendly way. Download the EPA booklet Healthy Lawn, Healthy Environment (a large PDF file).
Learn about Pesticides
For more information on landscaping tips, check out www.beriverfriendly.net